Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Contacts

I had mentioned previously that the very first life-form which came to the pond was a bullfrog. Unfortunately, I could never find the frog, I would only hear his croak or see his splash into the water when he saw me coming.

I finally decided to try the old midnight trick with a flashlight, and sure enough I was finally able to see him real close. It is strange how a flashlight completely blinds/paralyzes the frog, so that you could just reach out and grab them if you liked. I will try to get a picture of him soon.

The second creature to make its way into the pond is a turtle. I have not yet seen it, but the kids have, and my oldest daughter has touched it (mud turtle, not snapper). Again, I will try to get a picture of it, but first I need to see it for myself.

The third creature, which I have been the only one to see, is a blue heron. I was driving to go to work last week, and a large blue heron was walking the pond. Of course, as soon as it saw me it flew away, but it was still fascinating to see. If the frog is not fleet of foot, the heron will surely pick him off.

No comments: